Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Brewer and his Shiny Wife

The Brewer and his Shiny Wife












Working alone,
with stick and bone.

Dark in mind,
but hopeful and kind.

Brewing with laughter, sweet as can be.
No one will ever suspect it was me.

Adding toad, leaf and bark.
Oh my, this taste will leave its mark.

Running around the tree for fun.
Until morning, bright with the sun.

Then down in the dark, a hop and a dive,
keep myself hidden and safe in the hive.

Always in mind is the best plan of all,
taking small steps to crumble the wall.



Above and away in the castle of the city,
the rulers argued and had no pity.

Order of the day was punishment for a crime,
someone bright and cunning had stolen their time.

How could a subject dare mock them this way?
When all they ever wanted was to sleep through the day.

The sentence was delivered with fervour and hate,
the unlucky was given a disastrous fate.

"You are to remain here for the rest of your life,
no heed will be taken to you being a wife.

None will be allowed to visit you for an age,
this is how we choose to handle this outrage."



She cried and fell to her knees with a thud
this time she had really ended up in the mud.

To never see her kin and children so young,
she screamed in panic and dark curses were flung.

Carried kicking in shackles to a cell,
locked up tight and left there to dwell.

Moving to a corner she sat down and sighed,
called on the glimmer she always had inside.

The walls reflected the magnificent glow,
she shone like blinding sunshine on snow.

When finally she rose, a shimmering white sun,
her mind was stilled and bursting with fun.

The world she stepped into was lightyears away,
beyond known space, behind a bright pulsars sway.

Down on the forested moon orbiting her home,
she sat and looked up at the star filled dome.

Here she would stay til the time was right,
when her captors had been shaken with concoctions might.



Down in the deep I was done with my brew,
now how to get it to the rulers table and stew.

Disguising myself as a fine servant girl,
wide round the belly and adding a twirl.

The belly was needed to hide the pot,
too bad it was still so scalding hot.

Stifling my screams and dancing like a fool,
I charmed my way past the guards acting cool.

Into the kitchen and scaring the staff,
everyone out, I will have the last laugh.

Where is that stew, why hide it from me,
do they not know I harm them for free?

At last there it is, in the corner all alone.
Would they ever notice if I added a bone?

I run over wildly with a smile ear to ear,
then make a sweet salto like a true musketeer.

Landing in the cauldron I feel cosy and hot,
surprised to realize this won't help out a lot.

Climbing back out I curse my mistake,
no time for bathing for goodness sake.

Remembering the goal I came here for,
I pour the brew in and stir with an oar.

A noise very close made me jump like a goat,
dash behind a bench, a tightness in my throat.

In through the door comes a guard looking sharp.
A wave of my hand and he's changed to a carp.

Before my conscience failed I was out the door,
now to the cell, which was on what bloody floor?

I past a servant girl and the chef in the hall,
on their merry way to fetch the rulers fall.


With a spell and a flash, I was past them quite quick,
in a bind it was always a pretty neat trick.

Stumbling upstairs to the tower heaving for air,
I hoped I at last would find my lady of flair.

At the top there was nothing but a fine woven door.
What's this foul magic, have I seen this before?

I sent out a thought but nothing came back,
only a silence and the duck's kwack, kwack, kwack.

Don't get me started on that feathered pest,
He should've stayed at home with all of the rest.

Looking through options and glaring at the cloth,
I smile, there from above comes a clever moth.

It looks at me funny, I'm handsome I know,
I try to gain points with a bow down low.

"Hi there lil bud, whats up with that weave?"
It looked at me funny and just couldn't believe

that a big bipedal could ask something so strange
This dude must be crazy, in need of a change.

It buzzed in my ear and opened the weave
pointed to the room and begged me to leave.



Inside I was finally there by her side,
my emotion was strong and difficult to hide.

Not that it mattered she was in a trance,
I picked her up and was off in a dance.

Down through the stairs and hallways so long,
what was that word in the escaping spell song?

She stirred and was awake there in my arms,
instantly I was weak she had those natural charms.

My knees gave away and we were on the floor,
this was pretty bad for my knighthood score.

She laughed and hugged me for a long long time,
In the distance an alarm just then started to chime.

We were up and panicked, running for our lives,
after us came big guards with axes and knives.

Rounding a corner we came into a dining room,
I recognize the cauldron and smile at the doom.

Around us are royalty sleeping snugly and sweet,
we each do a selfie and a wonderful tweet.

From this hall there is no escape
I open a window and pull on a drape.

Tying the fabric to a supporting beam,
I grab my loved one and try not to rip a seam.

Out the window and climbing cloth down the wall,
sadly I cant tie and we start to fall.

She looked at me disapproving and her eyes were aflame,
with a word incoherent she made us land all the same.



Down safely on the ground outside on the castle yard,
we ran and I tried keeping up, me and my lard.

Out through the gateway, forceful magic, flying guards,
this tale will be sung by the most hated of bards.

Finally back home we sat down and relaxed,
only to hear that we were still to get waxed.

She silently sat down, relaxed and started to blur,
told me to repeat and then accept what was to occur.

A blue shining light surrounded us both that night,
when the guards blasted in it was quite a sight.

Then the light turned sapphire, they had to turn away.
As all shifted to bright white, they fell down to pray.

Before long the rays dissipated and all was clear,
they looked up bewildered and in noticeable fear.



We ourselves were flung far far aloft,
up and away through clouds so very soft.

We left the world and looked anxiously ahead
to the place where our kids were sleeping tightly in their bed.

When we passed the green moon familiarity struck,
how we had longed when on earth we were stuck.

The last final distance between the trees and our stead,
took just a second, our magic was emotionally sped.

There in our landscape so pristine and so old,
lay our true essence and our future untold.

The kids woke and hugged us til the cup overflowed,
hearts melted to puddles and time was effortlessly slowed.

Nothing but this was important no more,
learning we already knew how to soar.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FEATURED POST

Mike and Me

At the time I got back home they were all there; the bully, the hustler and the brake. They were all still confused. The bully...